Thursday, February 2, 2012

Potty Training and Disney.

When I was going through potty training, I was motivated under false advertisement.

One of the motivational tools my parents used was getting down on my level, looking me in the eyes and saying "When you get potty trained, we'll take you to Disney World!"

Somewhere deep down inside me this phrase must have made an impression, because this memory was triggered years later as my friends began sharing about their Disney experiences.  I asked my mom multiple times why we had not gone, and then one day she told the story of how they coaxed me into potty training.

This had become the run-on family joke for years when we got together--anytime we discussed Disney trips in my teenage years someone would always throw out the "We have to wait until Kathryn is potty trained" joke. Ha. Ha. Ha. It would be funny, except for the fact that we kept reusing that joke over and over and I HAD STILL NOT GONE TO DISNEY! Fail.

When I brought up the fact that I had, indeed, mastered the skill of using the facilities whenever I felt the urge, my parents and I could never find a suitable time to go.  Either I had soccer or cheerleading, or we were travelling for my brother's baseball games all summer, or my dad had to coach at some point.... and all this leads to me being a 24 year old fully functional toilet user who has yet to step foot in the happiest place on Earth.

My parents have gotten off the hook a little bit by sending me on Teens Westward Bound the summer after my Junior year of high school (where one day is spent in Anaheim, CA at DisneyLAND) but there are times when I still ask "So, when are we going to Disney World???"

All this leads up to me being able to say: WE ARE GOING TO DISNEY! This Spring Break, they are planning a 3 night, 4 day trip to Orlando where we will split our time between Disney World and Harry Potter World. And you want to know the FIRST thing I plan on doing upon entrance to the gates of this magical place? Find a restroom and prove once and for all that I am, indeed, a potty trained adult. Then...I'll go play all day like a child.

(photo cred: Google Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment