Friday, March 4, 2011

Letter to myself

As a new teacher, I see a lot of teachers who are stagnant in their jobs and have grown tired.  I have seen so much in these two years that I want to do differently....so here's a letter to myself for the future:

Dear more experienced version of myself,

  • Just because you have more experience in the teaching profession does not mean you know everything.  Stop pretending like you do and learn something new!
  • If you have done the same lesson plans for more than 4 years, throw some things out and mix it up.  Don't you dare use the same things over and over--the kids get bored with that and it is not effective. 
  • STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT EVERYTHING! I know things may seem like they are overwhelming and like everything keeps changing.  That's probably because it is, and change is fine.
  • Find a newer teacher and help her (or him) out.  Remember how much you wanted a friend to just talk things through with you and give you advice and encouragement.
  • Don't spend so much time at school.  Leave it there and it will be ok.
  • Read stories in funny voices.  The crazier the better.  Don't forget when you're old to be fun and ridiculous sometimes.
  • Don't wear high-waters.  Wear clothes that show that you are still cute and semi-connected to reality.  Throw away the mom jeans.  Throw away the sweaters.  Rock some cute jewelry.
Above all, I don't want you to be burnt out and not loving what you do.  If you don't love it anymore and things aren't as good as they could be...try something different.  There are so many ways to do what you love, find it and do it. Don't be grouchy.  It causes wrinkles and grouchy people are not fun to be around.

Love you!
Kathryn

1 comment:

  1. This makes me desire to write my own letter to myself. I'll link it when I do!

    ReplyDelete