Thursday, January 12, 2012

Whooooaaa, we're halfway there.

Halfway to the summertime!!!!

The 2nd 9-weeks is coming to an end, and it's time to reflect.

I started a new grade level this year, which is just like being a 1st year teacher again...except, when I was a first year teacher I didn't have as much knowledge about what I was supposed to be doing.  Now, I know where I SHOULD be with my students because I have the experience of a 3rd year teacher... and it's shocking to me how far away I am from where I'd like to be.  The crazy thing is, I have been working hard this school year to do what was right....so frustrating.  But, I keep reminding myself that I felt this way my first year teaching when I was in 3rd grade, and the second year of teaching it was much easier.  Holding to that promise.

I have been BEYOND blessed this year in school. Mainly, with my hilarious class...but also with the people I work with and the fact that I got to stay at my same school instead of being moved in May.  My mom has always said that teaching 4th graders was always her favorite, and I started this school year not knowing anything about 4th grade other than that.

My class this year has 25 students. Yep, twenty-five 10 year olds depending on me for everything 8 hours a day.  Let that sink in.  Daunting.  I love them all in so many ways because they all amaze me with some of the thoughtful, witty, outrageous things they come up with and comments they say.  There are tough times (for both of us) but it just...works. We have a little family. It's the jam.  They slip up and call me "mommy" often (I still flinch at this), they give me hugs, they talk back to me like they would their parents sometimes, and they love me.  And I love them.

I still can't get over the fact that I get to live my dream job every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment