Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A political soapbox

On most occasions, my blog is a rambling mess. It talks about my hilarious students in my class or I offer an anecdote about shenanigans in my life.  Very rarely do I take the time to spend time reflecting on current issues or really digging deeply into my thoughts.  It's hard to sit down and articulate how I'm feeling, but this one is a tricky subject that I just happen to have a lot of opinions about.

Voters in North Carolina had a tough decision to make today.  Amendment One.  In case you're living under a rock or have no connection to social media, this amendment is a state level constitutional law that says only marriage between and man and woman would be a legally recognized domestic union.

As a Christian viewpoint in this controversy, I believe that my opinion is going to go against the majority of believers.  So, knowing that, let's set this straight from the beginning: I believe in the Bible in it's entirety.  I believe that the Bible it is God-breathed and living, and that it is active in my life as it applies to things I am dealing with. (Hebrews 4:12)

I believe that the Bible warns against all types of sexual immorality--not only calling out gay and lesbian relationships, but ALL types.  I could list off a myriad of sexual acts, but I'll keep it PG.  The point is, why are we zoning in on this one type? Why are we, as Christians, choosing to voice our opinions against this lifestyle when there are other issues to worry about? It is not the role of the government to determine who can and cannot get married.  I find it inappropriate to mix religion in with politics in the first place because Jesus didn't come to be a political savior, but that's a soapbox for another day. Stay focused.  If a couple wants to get married under the covenant of God and stand before the Lord in a church and submit themselves to each other under the authority of heaven--THEN there can be a discussion about who is joined together.  It should not be the government's role to ban marriage of homosexuals, it should be the church's role to not recognize it.  The two (church and state) do not and should not overlap...and I know a lot of you will disagree with me on this.  I will say it again--Jesus did not come to grant us freedom in politics. He came for a much deeper freedom--one that he literally gave His life for.  He came to make us not hungry or thirsty anymore by providing us LIFE ABUNDANTLY! Don't get distracted with the politics that is so quick to change in time.

I have been reading a lot of authors who are relating this to the 1960's segregation laws, and saying that years from now people will look back at this and shake their heads in embarrassment.  That may be true.  I do think that more and more states will recognize homosexual relationships in the future, some more quickly than others.  North Carolina voters made the choice tonight to play the role of God.  People voted with their convictions, yes, but what they really voted for seems to go against what they are claiming to promote.  The people who claim to be Christians practiced intolerance and hatred of others tonight.  While I in no way believe that homosexuality is Biblical, I also do not believe that it should be the role of the state to decide this for those people.  They are not some law on a page--they are humans.  People who, unlike the  people who live in sexual sin in the closet, have come out publicly with their decisions.  We are taking on the role of God here...judging people and telling them that they lose their rights because of their sexuality.  It is simply, in my mind, not like Christ.


John chapter 13, verses 34 and 35 says to love others as Christ has loves us.  I don't know about you, North Carolina voters, but Christ has loved me regardless of the times I have failed him.  He loves me in the purest way and is full of redemption when I cannot live up to his sacrifice. So, in that way, I am committed to loving people.  Regardless of their sexuality. Regardless of their political affiliations or religious views.  Christ loved us. Period.  He sent Jesus to Earth to die for our sins...not for our pretty, small, in the dark sins we don't let anyone see...but ALL OUR SINS.


34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”


Love others.

4 comments:

  1. I usually keep to myself in these matters, but I agree with this entry in its entirety. Just not our place to judge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well-articulated, K-Bax. Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. check it: http://rachelheldevans.com/win-culture-war-lose-generation-amendment-one-north-carolina

    ReplyDelete

  4. Now to wear a short sleeve, orologi replica fight the wrist watch on the season. Rolex, Omega, Panerai, the nations of these mainstream watches, Kopior klockor although are very good watches, but they have been difficult to let us in the crowd to achieve "beyond". As a person who likes Rolex, even I now feel that I seem to be wearing an offshore type (although I also feel expensive). We need to identify higher, more eye-catching, worthy of the watch to achieve in the crowd "beyond".pandora on sale And Audemars Piguet new color offshore diving table can be said to be the best choice, very eye, recognition and watch the value of high. After all, a color of the offshore type, enough "spike" around us most of the watches. But now this time point, the new color offshore diving table to the second half of the large-scale listing, according to public sales. At this moment, omega replique the secondary market of color offshore diving table has become a "fried" target. The most beautiful green has been overvalued, other colors are not cheap. So, if you want to catch the summer in the first to wear a new color offshore diving table, the first in the crowd to achieve "beyond",pandora rings sale then you need a big price. Now this stage is the price of high, but also wear colored seaside diving table the best time,pandora sale this watch is no doubt that this season is the best choice. Do not want to start big price ahead of time to see you players the courage.


    ReplyDelete