Sunday, June 10, 2012

Friends from all seasons...

I am currently in my "I graduated and stayed in the same town when my friends moved away"  phase of life.

This is a great place to be because I am familiar with the city in which I live, have a few solid friendships still lingering around, and feel grounded here.  This is a weird place to be because I am figuring out how these relationships will move forward as we begin to grow more.  Its also weird because other friends are moving on, essentially, and it seems as if I am staying the same.

But today was such a breath of fresh air for this phase of my life.  I visited Camp for church...and camp to me is a place that always brings me back to center.  Camp friends stand the test of time.  Regardless of if I was there yesterday or a year ago, people just seem to naturally jump right back to where you left off.  I am blessed by that consistency in my life, and it helps remind me that true friends can do that.

From camp, I ventured to my friend Katie's house in Greenville.  Katie just had a beautiful baby girl last Saturday night and her life is ever-changing.  I love that even in the chaos of a new baby I was able to spend sweet time with her.  The times we can steal are precious to my heart, and I look forward to this new phase of friendship with her as a babymama.

And lastly, this diva named Paige Harmony hollered at me and we were able to catch up with each other by playing the all too familiar "tell me about your life in 5 minutes" game...where you word-vomit everything you can think to share with such a dear friend.  We haven't talked in over a year, and it was as if we were sitting side-by-side on the Truth bench star gazing in 2008. (but she is a Camp Greystone friend, and so you've already read my thoughts on how those friendships stand the test of time to me)

I was thinking about WHAT A BLESSING it is to have friends from all seasons of life, FOR all seasons of life.  I don't need 1,000 friends surrounding me...just some solid friendships.  The Lord has been so faithful in making some friendships so natural...but has also cultivated friendships through tough times and sustained them.  He has provided girls (and some guys) who speak some truth into me and keep me focused on the bigger picture.  He has worked through some insecurities and taught me things about myself...all the while keeping some people around me who I could not be more thankful for.

It's tough when you return to friendships after being away from someone and it's not as good as it used to be.  I'm too familiar with that.  But I am also going to be appreciative of friends who grow along the journey with me.


1 comment: